What is Feedback?
Feedback is developmental and should enable you to enhance your knowledge and understanding, personal qualities and intellectual, transferable and practical skills. At Alliance MBS feedback is given in a variety of ways and aids your progression on specific course units as well as towards your overall degree.
Feedback given to you during your programme should help you to understand how well you are working towards the intended learning outcomes of both your course unit and overall degree, the marks or grades you have been given and how your performance might be improved in the future.
In Alliance Manchester Business School academic staff aim to provide feedback which is:
- Related to progression
- Related to the learning outcomes of the course unit
Throughout the course of your studies, feedback is given in a variety of ways including:
- Informal advice and discussion during a lecture, seminar, workshop or lab. You will always receive immediate feedback on any contribution you make to discussions so make sure you participate fully.
- Online exercises and quizzes delivered through the course Blackboard space.
- Responses to your emails and questions from a member of staff, including feedback provided to a group via an online discussion forum.
- Specific course related feedback sessions.
- Written and/or verbal comments on assessed or non-assessed coursework.
- Written and/or verbal comments after you have given a group or individual presentation.
- Generic feedback posted on Blackboard regarding overall examination performance.
- Group and individual discussions/meetings with your Academic Advisor.
- Discussions and meetings with your Programme Director.
What if I want more Feedback?
Opportunities will be provided for you to discuss feedback in person with your Course Co-ordinator, details of which are included in the full course outline which you can access via Blackboard. You can also discuss feedback further with your Academic Advisor or Programme Director. All academic staff have office hours so if you need to see someone, check when these are and sign up to a slot.
How can I receive Feedback on Examinations?
Following each exam period, you may find that general exam feedback has been posted on Blackboard by the course coordinator. Please note that this is not a requirement and general feedback will not always be provided.
If you wish to review your exam script, you can do so during scheduled viewing sessions.
What you should find on your exam script:
An indication that all questions have been marked by a tick or a short sentence; where marks have been earned and the overall marks awarded.
Any comments on the script are predominantly part of the marking process and are not extensive in the way that feedback is provided on coursework.
What you WON'T find on your exam script:
Detailed written comments as you would for say an essay or a project. Course Coordinators will provide group generic feedback on Blackboard following an examination period.
Under University regulations, students do not have an automatic right to have papers remarked. The University does not permit students to challenge academic judgement (Regulation XIX).
If you have any queries in the meantime, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call through on 0161 275 4009.
Alliance Manchester Business School understands the value of listening to what you have to say. We will, therefore, actively seek your feedback either through course evaluation questionnaires or at various points throughout your degree programme whether directly or through your student representative. We are committed to listening to you, acting on the feedback you give to us and following this up by informing you of what we have done as a result of your feedback.