Other undergraduate support

Support for international students

In addition to learning new skills, international/overseas students face the challenge of learning to live in a different society. Problems of communication are frequent. Occasionally the distance from home can lead to acute personal or financial problems.

There is no need to feel isolated. The Students' Union has societies catering for international students. In addition, the International Society aims to draw together all nationalities on a social basis.

The School wants all students to be free to study without these challenges. If you have a problem the first thing to do is see the Student Support staff in the Student Support and Guidance Team or your Academic Advisor, at the earliest opportunity. We hope that you will enjoy your time at the University of Manchester, but please be assured that the School will try to assist you if you have any problems.

For all students planning to travel to the UK, it is important to be aware of the current rules and requirements relevant to your circumstances before travelling. The situation is changing on a regular basis, so we strongly advise you regularly check the advice available from the UK Government. There is also support available and useful information on the EU and international students FAQs page.


The University of Manchester is committed to creating a working and studying environment which is free of harassment and which protects the dignity of female and male staff and students irrespective of their sexual orientation, racial or ethnic background, religion or disabled status. Harassment is offensive and prejudicial to a productive working and studying environment. It is indicative of a lack of respect for the person harassed, undermines his or her position and may have a negative impact upon health, job performance, course work, examinations and sense of personal security.

The University has appointed a team of specially trained academic staff, support staff and students to act as Harassment Advisers. View details of the University's policy and procedures on sexual, racial and personal harassment. For further information contact the Head of the Office of Student Support and Services or the Students' Union Advice Centre.

The University has Report & Support team which deal with acts of harassment, discrimination, hate or violence. All members of the University community can report something and get support from an advisor.


When you reach the stage of applying for jobs or further study, you will need an academic reference. One of the responsibilities of your Academic Advisor is to provide references, so you should approach them in the first instance. In certain cases, you may wish to approach another member of staff and ask if they would be willing to provide you with a reference.

Please ensure that you inform your referee of any companies, institutions, and organisations that may contact them to request a reference.

There is no need to feel isolated. The Students' Union has societies catering for most international students. In addition the International Society aims to draw together all nationalities on a social basis.

Student Immigration Team

The Student Immigration Team offers support and advice to international students studying at The University of Manchester. Advice and information are offered in a variety of areas, including immigration issues, accommodation issues, work permits, finance and funding, English Language courses, and academic and personal problems.

Appointments with advisers are available. To meet with one of the advisers contact the Student Immigration team.

English Language requirements

All teaching on Alliance MBS undergraduate programmes takes place in the English language. There are no facilities for the presentation of teaching material or tutorials in any language other than English. All students are therefore expected to have attained a sufficient standard in English to enable them to understand the teaching material and to be able to effectively communicate with others.

If at any time, you are at all concerned about the standard of your English, in particular, if you think it will hinder your progress on the programme, you should discuss this with the Student Support and Guidance Team or your Academic Advisor.

Support with Academic English

The University Centre for Academic English provides Academic English workshops to help you with your studies. Whatever your first language is, our Academic Success Programme aims to help you succeed in your studies. Writing Academic English can be challenging, even for native speakers. A team of experienced tutors are here to support you and will help boost your confidence to work independently in English. This provision is free of charge to our students. You can find out more about Academic English Workshops, including Academic Writing Workshops at University Centre for Academic English website.

Visiting or exchange students may use their own foreign language/English translation dictionary in examinations. Please note that the above concession applies only to students who are visiting or on exchange with us as part of their programme in an overseas institution. International students who are studying for a University of Manchester degree will not be able to take any form of dictionary into examinations.

In-sessional language courses

Students on particular programmes are able to select a language course as part of their 120 credits for the academic year. Please see your programme structure for eligibility.

The University of Manchester International Society

This Society, founded in 1966, is a social, cultural and welfare centre for the many international students in the University. A comprehensive programme of social activities and visits is organised each semester. Overseas students are advised to obtain a copy of the programme on arrival and are welcome to consult the Society for help and advice. British and Overseas students and staff are all equally welcome. Activities are also organised for spouses and families of overseas students.

Contact details are as follows:

International Society
c/o UMSU
Oxford Road
M13 9PR

Tel: 0161 275 4959
Email: info@internationalsociety.org.uk
Web: International Society

Support for students from under-represented backgrounds

The University offers a range of support for students from backgrounds and communities currently under-represented in Higher Education:

Financial problems

Financial problems can arise unexpectedly. If you are in a hall of residence you should inform the Accommodation Office if this is likely to affect your ability to pay hall fees on time. You should always tell your Academic Advisor or the Student Support and Guidance Team. The University runs a Living Cost Support Fund for genuine cases of personal hardship and you might be eligible to receive money from this. There are also other means of financial support available. You may be eligible for certain bursaries and grants, for example, Commonwealth Scholarships. View more about funding opportunities.

The University has also collated a Money Advice A-Z to provide money advice and information for all students at the University of Manchester.

Transferring to another degree programme within AMBS

Transfer between degree programmes within Alliance MBS is permitted only in exceptional circumstances:


In the first year, students who feel they have genuinely chosen the wrong degree programme may be permitted to transfer to another programme within Alliance MBS. This will normally be within the first two weeks of the first semester. All requests to transfer will be considered on an individual basis.


On successful completion of the previous year's study indicated by attainment of the pass mark in the relevant programme. This includes those subjects that the student wishes to discontinue upon transfer and where the following conditions are met:

  • A place being available on the programme you wish to change to; and
  • Meeting the entry requirements of the programme you wish to change to; and
  • Final approval from Alliance MBS.

You should make an appointment to see a member of staff from the Student Support and Guidance Team - room 2.091 AMBS. They can advise you on the transfer process and liaise with the Programme Directors, the Director of Undergraduate Studies and your Academic Advisor regarding potential approval for the transfer.

Any requests from BSc International Management (IM) or BSc International Management with American Business Studies (IMABS) students to transfer to the BSc Management with Industrial/Professional Experience programme in the second year must be completed by the end of the first two weeks of teaching in semester one. IM and IMABS students would not be permitted to join the Management with Industrial/Professional Experience programme after this deadline. You should see the Employability and Placement Officer (AMBS 2.036a) should you wish to put in a request to transfer.

You will be notified in writing if and when the transfer is approved.

Students wishing to transfer to other University of Manchester programmes or to programmes at any other university should seek advice from, and have a discussion with, their Programme Director or Academic Advisor in the first instance. The decision to accept a student on to a non-AMBS, University of Manchester, programme rests with the School to which the student wishes to transfer. All enquiries should be directed to the relevant School's Admissions Team to ensure they meet the entry requirements and are eligible to transfer.