Health, safety and wellbeing

Familiarise yourself with the procedures for dealing with an emergency, including what to do on discovery of a fire, and fire exit-points. Also, familiarise yourself with the Health and Safety at Work regulations, extracts of which are posted in all School buildings.

Anyone requiring first aid for themselves or for others should contact one of the first aiders situated in the building. Their names and telephone numbers are posted in commonly used areas.

As a student at The University of Manchester, it is important that you don’t interfere with or misuse anything, object, structure or system of work provided by the University of Manchester in the interests of health and safety.

If you are concerned about any health and safety matters in any of the buildings you use, please contact Joann Slater using the details below. To find out more, read the University’s Health and Safety Policy.

Joann Slater, AMBS School Safety Advisor
Room 1.008, AMBS
Tel: 0161 275 6422 or internal 56422

Accidents and emergencies

All accidents must be reported to Alliance MBS's Safety Adviser, Joann Slater.

If an accident results in injury, however minor, (e.g. cuts/bruising), you must also promptly notify Occupational Health normally by attendance at the service, where treatment will be given.

In the case of a serious incident (accident or otherwise) where immediate on-the-spot first aid is required and an ambulance may be needed, ring either:

  • An appointed first-aider (details noted around the AMBS building); or
  • The University Security Service on the general emergency number 52728 or 275 2728; or
  • If you don't have immediate access to a phone, contact any member of staff to summon a first-aider or an ambulance, as required.
  • If you notice anything suspicious on campus you are advised to contact Security on 275 2728 (extension 52728) or 306 9966 (extension 69966).

Fire alarm and evacuation procedures

If for any reason you will need help to leave any building in the event of an emergency, you should inform your Programme Administrator and Alliance MBS's Health and Safety Adviser, Joann Slater.

The fire alarms are tested in the Alliance MBS building every Wednesday at 13:20pm. If you hear an alarm at any other time you must leave the building immediately. You must attempt to avoid the central staircase and on no account use lifts in an emergency.

If you are on the ground floor, make your way out via the front entrance or, if that is barred by fire, via the emergency exits as the side of the building. Once outside you must move as far away from the building as possible so as not to obstruct the emergency services and for your own safety. The assembly point for AMBS is located outside Humanities Bridgeford Street/University Green.

Pairs of fire extinguishers are situated around the building, by fire exits and in the stairwells. The wider one is foam filled and is to be used on paper fires. The thinner one is carbon dioxide filled and is for use on electrical equipment. Never put water on electrical equipment.

You will be using many of the university buildings over the course of your programme. You must, therefore, familiarise yourself with the University of Manchester fire alarm procedures and emergency evacuation points by consulting the signs displayed in each building you use.

Occupational health

The Student Occupational Health Service in Waterloo Place offers a confidential service to students in relation to any health concerns that may impact on their academic life. This includes matters such as fitness to undertake a course, fitness to study and the provision of medical certificates for a wide range of non-course related activities.

It also provides travel advice, including vaccinations and health promotion advice on a range of issues, including contraception, alcohol and drugs. Advice can also be sought in emergency situations e.g. if a student is taken ill on campus or during examinations.

This is not, however, a primary care service and all students must register with a local doctor.

Read more about the Student Occupational Health Service.

Student Occupational Health Service
182-184 Waterloo Place
Oxford Road
M13 9PG

Tel: 0161 275 2858

Opening Hours: Monday to Friday from 9am to 4pm.

Primary medical care

Check the information on the University website about student health services.

Primary medical care of students is provided by the National Health Service through individual registration by students with a local general practice (doctors) of your choice. A list of all general practices (doctors surgeries) can be obtained from the NHS website.

It is very important that you check with the local practice/health centre that you have chosen that they are prepared to issue medical notes to students for medical conditions which may affect their studies, for consideration at Board of Examiners. Please do not register with a practice or health centre which refuses to provide this service as the Board of Examiners cannot consider medical circumstances without proof of the condition. Some local practices and health centres now charge a fee for these medical notes so please also check whether this is the case so you can take this into consideration before you decide to register with them.

Prolonged computer use

Prolonged and continuous use of computing equipment may lead to impaired vision or repetitive strain injury. All students are advised that, based upon European Union Health and Safety Guidelines, they should only use a computer for a maximum of 50 minutes in any (60 minutes) without having a 10 minute break.